Monday, August 6, 2012

1-2-3-Jump!


"All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without benefit of experience."
--Henry Miller

We take a trip down the Cooper River most years into Charleston with some sweet friends who are always kind enough to invite us. It's always a good time. We stop a number of times along the way to snack and chat and swim with the other boats making the trip.

Every year we go under a train trestle that runs across the river, and every year I say I want to jump from it, but I never had anyone willing to take the leap with me.

I can't believe I forgot to add it to the bucket list.

Well, this year we took along one of Stephen's work friends and her husband. And lo and behold, he was willing to climb up and plunge down into the river with me.

It looks much higher when you're standing on it.

Of course, in true KB fashion, I made sure the water was plenty deep before I ever climbed up. I had no interest in having my toes touch whatever was at the bottom of that river. I'm not totally reckless! 

Now, I've never so much as jumped off the high dive into a swimming pool, and my jumping buddy and I would never be mistaken for members of the Chinese Olympic synchronized diving team (those cats are insanely good), but we managed to hit the water with all of our parts intact AND had a fun time AND I managed to stay relevant to my 10-year-old son for just a bit longer . . . which made me think of all the cool/different/neat things I've done in my life that weren't on the bucket list.

I'm compiling a list. More to follow . . .
Post a Comment