Friday, July 27, 2012

Vacation Observations

"The feelings of my smallness and my nothingness always kept me good company."
--Pope John XXIII

I hesitated to write this post from on location at the beach, what with all the crazies who scan online media to see whose homes they can break into, but I decided that I would take the risk. Just know, if you are considering breaking into my home, my parents are coming by the house every day and we have a menagerie of wild animals (you know, lions, tigers, bears . . . that kind of thing) roaming the house in our absence. Good luck to you.

***

It's been a while since I've added to my list of things I'm thankful for, and it only took a trip to the beach to remind me of some of the items I should add to the list.

1. I'm thankful that I am finally getting somewhat of a tan. Granted, my skin is bordering on extra-crispy at the moment, but I'm hopeful that it will even out into a Malibu-Barbie shade of brown.

2. I am thankful for this man. He keeps me grounded, loves me when I'm pretty unbearable and keeps me laughing the whole time. I love him!





3. I'm thankful for my kids. I love coming to the beach with Stephen's family and watching them interact with my kiddos. They are cool kids, and I'm thankful they are mine.

4. I am thankful for these socks. They have this special moisturizing stuff inside, and they keep my tootsies toasty warm in the house that Stephen's uncle like to keep at a bone-chilling temperature.


5. I'm thankful that I am not as important as I sometimes think I am. It only takes a glimpse at the ocean to realize what a blip you really are. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by my problems and feel like all of my decisions are life-altering, but here at the beach, under a giant sky, with miles of ocean in front of me, I am reminded how small I am . . . and it is fabulously reassuring.


(P.S. I'm also thankful for my friend X for giving me the kick in the pants I needed today to write a new blog post. I was not feeling motivated. Thanks, X!)
Post a Comment