Saturday, June 9, 2012

Summer Lovin'

"A happy family is but an earlier heaven."

--George Bernard Shaw

We just got back from the beach. We went yesterday and came home today, so it wasn't a lengthy vacation, but it was a happy one.

Stephen's family from Texas was in South Carolina for the week, so we took the opportunity to pack up the kids and hang out with them yesterday.

It was just what I needed.

I was able to see his uncle and cousins. Some I hadn't seen in about 11 years; some I had never met. And none had ever met Jack and Mo.

It was so much fun to spend time with Stephen's family. They were so excited to see Stephen again, they were gracious and welcoming to me, and we weren't there long enough to see any of the crazy that often accompanies a family vacation (or at least the crazy that would likely accompany a vacation with any side of my family. I hope my family is not offended by that observation).

Jack and Mo met and immediately became friends with their cousins who live halfway across the country.

Don't you wish it were as easy for adults to make new friends as it is for children? I had to think really hard about whether the correct phrase is "don't you wish it were" or "don't you wish it was," and now the phrases are jumbled in my brain, so I just picked one. Hope it works for you. (Yes, I am an editor/proofreader. Don't judge. It's the weekend.)

We spent the day in the sand and sun, left the beach with sunburns despite the heavy application of sunscreen, went out for a huge seafood dinner (kudos to The Dockside for deftly handling our party of 30), and came home today happy and refreshed.

Nice weekend. And we still have Sunday to go.


The kiddos were so pooped they slept most of the way home. Bonus!

Post a Comment