Wednesday, May 30, 2012

This Old House

"Home is where one starts from."
--T. S. Eliot


Can I just tell you how excited I am about tonight?


Since January, the four cousins have made a concerted effort to get together for dinner once a month just to stay close. And considering we are four adults with husbands and girlfriends and a combined six kids, if is often quite a concerted effort . . . but always well worth it.


We rotate houses each month, and this month, we are at Jason's.


And this is HUGE. Let me tell you why.


My grandparents built a house in their younger days. This is the house they lived in for my growing-up years and the house we practically lived at when we weren't at our own homes. Every Sunday, we all gathered there. Every Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter too. We spent eleventy-seven kabillion hours there. This is the house where the four cousins became one seriously tight bunch.


The cousins with Grandmama at "the house" in 1991


When Granddaddy died, Grandmama bought the smaller house next door and my parents (along with my sister and me) moved into "the house" so we could be close to Grandmama. 


I lived in that house all through high school and college. That's the house I lived in when Stephen and I started dating. That's the house I moved out of when Stephen and I got married.


And once Grandmama got to the point where she really couldn't live by herself anymore, she and my parents sold both houses and got a house for the three of them to live in.


We all hated selling "the house." We had so many memories there. So many memories.


But we consoled ourselves with photographs and stories from the old days, and life went on . . . without the house . . . for about 5 years or so.


Until last year (on my birthday, no less), my cousin (and cohort in crime at "the house") called to let me know he had bought "the house" back! We were all beyond thrilled to have it back in the family.


So tonight, we reconvene at that house as a larger family. I can't wait for my two kids to run around the backyard with their cousins just as I did so many years ago with mine. And I can't wait to hear what they think about it. 


I hope they think it's as magical a place as I do.

Post a Comment