Friday, May 18, 2012

I Ate a Bug

 It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those Circle of Life kind of things.
--Hopper, "A Bug's Life"

It wasn't on the bucket list, but last night I had the opportunity to eat a chocolate-covered bug . . . so in the interest of stepping outside my comfort zone, I took it.

My friend Cindy at Candy Bouquet of Lexington sells chocolate-covered larvae (I don't know what kind. It's better that way.) and crickets in her store. Apparently, she sells a ton. And she brought me some to try.

I popped a whole larva in my mouth because I didn't want to see if there was any goo inside. Turns out, that wasn't an issue. It was dry and crispy. I got brave with the cricket and bit it in half to see what was inside. When I pulled it away from my mouth, one of its legs didn't want to let go. It also was dried out and kind of looked like a chocolate-covered piece of crisped rice cereal.

It tasted like chicken.

Just kidding. It didn't really taste like anything but chocolate, but it left all kinds of pieces-parts on my tongue and in my teeth (enjoy your lunch). I tried to take a picture of the parts on my tongue, but apparently they're invisible but still very gross and annoying.

I did manage to get a pic of one sad larva left on the plate.



So yep, I ate a bug (or two). It was on purpose. And I don't think I'll do it again unless I'm in a Hunger Games type of situation. 

"May the odds be ever in your favor."



Post a Comment