Monday, April 9, 2012

Motivation Monday: A Little Springtime Color


"There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice."

--John Calvin


Easter may be over, and our colorful dyed eggs have mercifully found their way to the garbage. But I found a simple way to inject some springtime color indoors to brighten up the mirror over our fireplace mantle.
I found a book of scrapbook paper on clearance and bought some plain construction paper in coordinating colors along with a sheet of alphabet stencils.
 
I put Mo in charge of picking a word to go on the banner. She picked "faith," which was a relief, because her favorite word right now is "awkward." Although that may have been appropriate as well.

Jack cut out six triangles (big enough to accommodate the letters we were using) of scrapbook paper, each a different pattern, and Mo traced the letters onto solid construction paper. I cut the letters out because I was pretty confident that if the kids did it, there would be tears. Probably mine.

I glued the letters to the triangles, punched holes in the top two corners of each, threaded twine through the holes, and tied it across my mirror. And voila! A nifty shot of color.
Any word or phrase would work--a last name would be nice . . . Or happy birthday or congratulations for a special occasion. The sky's the limit.

I've also done these as teacher gifts using the teacher's last name.

I think it's super cute, and since the paper I bought is double-sided with a different pattern on each, the mirror reflects even more color. Bonus!

Post a Comment