Thursday, April 19, 2012

Into the Lion's Den (or the bird's cage)


"Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain."
--Mark Twain

Well, I did it. I faced my biggest fear.

If you'll remember, earlier in the week, I posted about meeting my neighbor's bird. While I was still feeling pretty good about not freaking out about Elvis, I decided to ride the wave of courage to Riverbanks Zoo. They have this Lorikeet exhibit, which I'm sure is pretty cool if you're not terrified of birds.

You buy a little cup of nectar for $2 and then go into this area with dozens (if not millions) of colorful Lorikeets, which were much, MUCH bigger than I ever remembered them being. You hold out the nectar, and birds fly to you to eat.

I went with my mother, sister, niece, nephew and two children, because it's harder to cower when there's an audience. And my sister was kind enough to videotape the whole thing for your amusement. My mother enjoyed the scene from safely outside the exhibit. 

At one point early on,  you'll hear my Mo scream, "I don't want to do this now!!!" So I may or may not have passed some bird anxiety on to my youngest.

Notice how the birds would not come to me, while my niece was like the Lorikeet Whisperer in there. Maybe Lorikeets can sense fear. Or maybe they had heard that I tend to flail when birds fly around my head. Regardless, they mostly avoided me. And I was okay with that. But I did manage to have one on my hand long enough to consider the venture a success.

I can't say I've completely conquered my fear. Turns out the bird on my hand wasn't nearly as disconcerting as the ones swooping overhead, and my legs felt like Jello-O for a good hour after we left the exhibit. 

The true challenge will be on vacation this year. Seagulls are big and gross and they like to eat my snacks, so if I can manage a day on the beach without freaking out, I'll check #21 off the bucket list.

Enjoy. The video ends abrubtly. Don't adjust your computer. It's not you; it's me. Or my phone's camera, to be exact.

video

I expect lots of praise and congratulations from my friends in this, my finest hour.


Tell me about a time when you faced your fear. 
I'd love to know I'm not alone in all of this.
Post a Comment