Monday, March 12, 2012

Motivation Monday: Chalkboard Placemats


"Expect to have hope rekindled. Expect your prayers to be answered in wondrous ways. The dry seasons in life do not last. The spring rains will come again."
--Sarah Ban Breathnach

It was a tough weekend for me. I missed Grandmama something crazy. I guess it was because we were actually in town with no swim meet to attend, so I had more time to focus on how much I miss her calling me "precious" and fiddling with my fingers as I held her hands and updated her on Stephen's job and the kids' schoolwork. It probably didn't help that the signs of Spring are everywhere, and I can't see a blooming flower or butterfly without thinking of her (she loved them so!)

So, to address the loss I was feeling, I headed to the cemetery to make sure the flowers on her and Granddaddy's grave still looked nice. I was caught off guard to see that she had made her mark there already.

The picture does not do it justice. The scene was breathtaking!

Grandmama, I love what you've done with the place!


****

On to Motivation Monday! I made a set of 10 chalkboard placemats (because that's how many people the dining room table will hold).

I got 14-by-11" pieces of foam board -- the kind that is like a really thick piece of poster board. Then I just covered them in two coats of some leftover chalkboard paint I had from when I worked on Christmas gifts. If I were being frugal, I would have sprayed them with a coat of black primer and then just used one coat of chalkboard paint, but I've chalkboarded everything in this house that would hold still, so I finished up the pint with this project.

The edges curled up a bit when the paint dried, but it was nothing that couldn't be fixed with a couple of nights under my old yearbooks (Go Bearcats!!). I'm fairly happy with the results. They will debut at a cousin dinner tomorrow night.



Post a Comment