Wednesday, December 14, 2011

You Call Yourself a Doctor?

"Where is Thumbkin? Where is Thumbkin?"
--children's fingerplay

So, I finally went to the rheumatologist to see if he could help me with my chronic joint and muscle pain. I wrote all of my complaints on a piece of paper so I wouldn't forget to tell him anything. He reviewed the page and asked me to tell him more about my "tingly fingers." The following conversation ensued:

Me: Well, when I wake up, some of my fingers feel asleep. Not all of them. Just some.
"Dr.": Which ones?
Me: Pinky, Old Man and Pointer
(silence, "Dr." looks at me with raised eyebrows)
"Dr.": Old Man? 
Me: Yes, is that bad? What does that mean?
"Dr.": Who is Old Man?
Me: You know, Old Man. This finger . . . you know, he can't stand up straight because he's old.

Old Man
"Dr.": I've never heard it called that. Who are the others?
Me: (starting to question this guy's authority as a physician) Umm, Pinky, Old Man, Tall Man, Pointer and Thumbkin.

Seriously, do they not even teach anatomy in med school anymore?!
Post a Comment