Friday, December 30, 2011

1 Little, 2 Little, 3 Little Blessings . . .

"The greatest thing is to give thanks for everything. He who has learned this knows what it means to live."
--Albert Schweitzer

My friend Julie gave me a book for Christmas. It's called One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp. I'm on page 71--not so far in--but it has inspired me to embrace a challenge.

In the book, Voskamp started a list of things she's thankful for. The challenge? To find 1,000 things to be thankful for.



Okay, now some of you will remember that I committed fully to my 30 Days of Thanks in November. I had something to be thankful for each and every day of the month. But let's be honest: I started to stretch things toward the end of the month. I mean, I was thankful for Mexican food one day, for Pete's sake.

One thousand things to be thankful for. Can I do it? I want to find out.

According to Voskamp, the only way to fully experience the life God wants you to live is to live a life of gratitude. 

I do a fairly good job of that. I thank my son when he remembers to put the toilet seat down. I thank the cashier when she hands me a receipt for gas, even though I grumble the whole time I'm walking to the building about having to venture across the parking lot when this was something I clearly wanted to avoid because I paid at the pump with my credit card, and . . . hmmm, this might be harder than I thought.

The first thing I do every morning is to start flexing body parts to see which ones hurt. And with this fibromyalgia or as-yet-undetermined health issue I have, something always hurts. Then I go through a mental to-do list: Go to the grocery store (blech), fold the laundry (yuck), wait in car line (booooorrring). No wonder I zombie-walk my way through the day. 

In order to be thankful for something, you have to experience it fully. Give it a name. Basically, it's all about slowing down to live the glorious life God has given you instead to checking items off a list in order to get to the next item.

So, when Jenni Prokopy at ChronicBabe.com brought up the idea of a blog carnival based on New Year's resolutions for 2012, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to do this thing for real. I mean, if I'm committing to it online, it's the real deal, right? I have to do it.

It's time to stop focusing on the negatives that drag my spirit down. I'm ready to live my life to the fullest. 

I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Post a Comment