Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thanks and a Song


"Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse."
--Henry Van Dyke




Happy November! I love the tradition of giving thanks for something each day of this month. I missed yesterday, so I'm going to share two things today.

I am thankful for my faith. I understand that it is a gift from God and not anything that I have achieved on my own. Without it, I would have no personal relationship with Jesus Christ and, therefore, no hope. So . . . yeah . . . really thankful for faith.

Second, I am thankful for my family. From my husband and children, to my sister, parents and grandparents, to my cousins and in-laws, I am more than blessed. Their unconditional love and support are unmatched. And I am supremely grateful for each and every one of them (even the weird ones).

On that note, you may remember that Grandmama fell and broke her hip several weeks ago. I talked about how much she means to our family

Well, as luck would have it, I was clicking around online and stumbled upon a link to the California-based band The Wiggly Tendrils. The website included a note that said you could contact them with song ideas, pay them $50, and they would write a song based on your idea; or you could call 440.TEN.DRIL (440.836.3745), leave a message, and if your idea is "really inspiring," they would write you a song for free.

I don't think anyone on earth is as inspiring as Grandmama, so I called and left them a message telling them about Grandmama. How her biscuits are little bits of heaven, how she could pat-a-cake like a champ, how she made buttermints from scratch to give as gifts. I explained that she's 103, and while we know she's not going to be with us forever, I was looking for something that the four cousins could have so that we could reconnect with Grandmama and each other when she's not around. 

Within a couple of hours, Conor from The Wiggly Tendrils called me to tell me he was going to write our song. I was beyond thrilled. It had been such an emotional time for us, with Grandmama in the hospital and having to undergo hip surgery, that I didn't even have the words to thank him properly. 

That next week, he sent the most precious song to my inbox, along with the accompanying sheet music. He had listened to my message, read the tribute to Grandmama here on A Drop in the Bucket, seen the pictures here, and written a song that we all cherish. It's called Grace, You Amaze Me. 





If you don't have the right media player, listen to it here and tell me what you think.


And Conor from The Wiggly Tendrils: A million thanks. My cousins listened to the song last night and loved it. And it gave us a much-needed excuse to take a break from our hectic schedules to just be together.


Post a Comment