Saturday, November 5, 2011

30 Days of Thanks: Days 4 and 5


"You can be a good neighbor only if you have good neighbors."
--Howard Koch


I'm usually fairly quiet on the weekends, but since I forgot to write about what I'm thankful for yesterday, I need to play a little catchup. It has been a long day, starting at 6 a.m. to get Jack to a swim meet. That went until 4:45 p.m. and then we were off to the church for pizza and a trip to a corn maze. Therefore, I'll be brief.

Day 4: I am thankful for my neighborhood. I love my house. It's not fancy, but it suits us. And the folks surrounding us are our friends. Not just neighbors, but friends. The men cook out and share lawn tools. The kids go to school together during the week and ride bikes together on the weekend. And the women -- what can I say? -- the women are my lifeline. I can count any number of ladies in our neighborhood who I can call to feed the cat or collect the mail while we're on vacation. But on top of that, I have at least 10 people whose houses I can see from mine who would rise to the challenge if I needed hairstyle advice (sometimes I don't even have to ask for it) or if I needed to get out of the house for some adult conversation because I'm starting to sound like the cast of Yo Gabba Gabba. To my girls in the 'hood, I cherish you!!

Girls in the 'hood


And for today, Day 5, I'm thankful to be out of the corn maze. Amen.
Post a Comment