Tuesday, November 8, 2011

30 Days of Thanks: Day 7 -- Date Night


"We did talk about cheese on our first date." 
--Jane Kaczmarek


Day 7


I am thankful for date nights. 


I had the most wonderful date with the most wonderful gentleman last night. Stephen was working late, and Margaret had dance rehearsals, so after swim practice, Jack and I went out for sushi -- just the two of us. That rarely happens. Stephen spends a fair amount of one-on-one time with Jack, and I spend a good deal of one-on-one time with Margaret, but rarely the other way around. 


We shared a salad, each let the other sample their sushi, and I learned that he is the class clown and he struggles with timed tests. He told me jokes of questionable taste that he knows not to share in front of his little sister. They were crude and hilarious. He asked me what I'd like to order and then he told the waitress for me. 


At the end of the meal, we shared the fortunes that came in our fortune cookies and discussed what they might mean. Mine left little to interpret.


Creepy fortune much?
Stephen and I instituted a standing date night a few weeks ago. Each Wednesday night, we sit on the couch and watch a disturbing horror series on television. I look forward to that time each week. Our schedules are hectic, and knowing that I will have at least one uninterrupted hour with my husband midweek is usually enough to get me through the first half of the week.


There's something to be said for uninterrupted time spent with one special person. Time when you're not distracted and can share ideas. Time when you can focus on what makes that individual someone worth spending time with.
Post a Comment