Wednesday, November 30, 2011

30 Days of Thanks: Day 30 -- It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas


"At Christmas, play and make good cheer, 
for Christmas comes but once a year."
--Thomas Tusser

I feel like I need a drum roll or something. This is the last day of November, and therefore, the last day of my 30 million days of thanks. (What's that? It was only 30? Odd. It felt like more.)

And today I am most thankful for the upcoming Christmas season. And to celebrate, I would like to make a list -- who doesn't love a list? -- of the reasons I am looking so forward to Christmas.

1. Celebrating Grandmama's 104th birthday on Christmas day. Talk about special!! I can't wait!

2. Chocolate-covered cherries. I'm not sure why, but we only eat these at Christmas. Santa always left a box under the tree.

3. Getting to hang out with family, including my cousin's baby who I've never met. That is so sad. We live in the same city, for Pete's sake.

4. Christmas music playing in stores. Two thumbs up to the stores that play music that reference Jesus since, duh, it's kind of His day.

5. Creepy dancing Santa in my neighbor's window. We like to sit in front of their house and watch from the car. I can't believe the police haven't picked us up for stalking. 

6. O Holy Night, sung by my dear friend Jen. Homegirl can seriously sing. Like, rattling-the-windows-of-the-church sing. I look forward to her solo every year.

7. Stocking stuffers. I love the little things Santa stuffs into a stocking more than the big gifts under the tree. They tend to be either extremely cool or extremely useful. Either way, I'm a fan.

8. The kids waking us up on Christmas morning. I'm not a morning person, but I make an exception for this one.

9. Calling brownie bites, cocktail smokies, miniature sandwiches and other party fare a "meal."

10. Hearing "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" on the radio and watching my kids' surprised faces when I can sing every single word.

I'm looking forward to working on the bucket list some more. I hope to check off something before the end of the year.


What's your favorite thing about the arrival of Christmas? 
Share with the rest of the class.
Post a Comment