Wednesday, November 23, 2011

30 Days of Thanks: Day 23 -- Reading, Writing and -- Holy Smoke, Do These Kids Ever Stop Talking!!


"I don't think most teachers realize how much impact they have."
--Scott Hamilton

Today was the first day of Thanksgiving break for my kids. They helped me make cupcakes and work on some of my DIY Christmas gifts, we folded a mountain of laundry and played a game Mo learned at school.

And then the clock struck 9 a.m. From 9 a.m. until 4:15 p.m., it was nonstop sound around here. These children of mine covered every topic on earth, one right after the other. 

I actually started counting seconds of silence between topic changes. The highest I got was two seconds. Two seconds of silence in 7 hours and 15 minutes! 

To be fair, they did go up to a neighbor's house for an hour and a half (thank you, BB. You saved my sanity.), but I have no reason to believe they stopped talking just because they were in a different house. The only reason I got a bit of a reprieve at 4:15 was because Jack had swim practice and was underwater.

So today, I am thankful for teachers.

Image: Carlos Porto / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
I can't imagine being surrounded by not two but 20+ children for 8 or so hours a day. I nearly lost my religion with my two, who I love more than life itself. To have 20 or more kids talking and laughing and crying and fighting and sniffling and coughing and drumming pencils and poking each other and sharing stories and needing to go to the bathroom and not making it to the bathroom -- well, let's just say that I admire what you do.

Come to think of it, I kind of admire myself for being a stay-at-home mom. How did I make it through the summer with these noisemakers?!

So today, I salute you teachers and respect you for finding a moment to actually teach in a room full of chatterboxes.

Now excuse me while I leave the solitude of my office to tuck my little angels in bed. Where'd I put those earplugs . . .
Post a Comment