Sunday, November 20, 2011

30 Days of Thanks: Day 20 -- In the Can

"Just pop the can and slice the cran."
--The Wiggly Tendrils

On this day, I am thankful for cranberry sauce.


We got together with cousins from my mom's side of the family to celebrate Thanksgiving today. And while all of our favorite foods (Mama's corn, the dressing, Daddy's turkey, the ever-present pickle tray, etc.) were delicious, the day would not have been complete without my favorite: the cranberry sauce.


Not homemade or even whole-berry. I adore the canned, jellied cranberry sauce. I get that it's not the classy option for your cranberry sauce needs. But I love opening the can, plopping it onto a plate and slicing along the ridges the can left in the cause. I mean, come on, now -- the can tells you where to slice to get your servings the right size. How nice is that!! I love how it immediately adds color to the plate, I love that you never run into those pesky seeds that like to camp in your teeth, and I love how Thanksgiving becomes Thanksgiving as soon as someone comes in with the can. And just try to find a better topping for the turkey on your day-after-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches.

Photo courtesy of Rick Kimpel
So today, I salute you, canned jellied cranberry sauce. Your simplicity speaks volumes. 


Apparently I'm not the only one who loves the stuff. Check out this song from The Wiggly Tendrils (you know, the band that wrote the song for Grandmama) that celebrates the allure of the beloved can of sauce.


So, what's your favorite way to have cranberry sauce? Or if you can't stand cranberry sauce, what's your favorite food on your Thanksgiving plate?



Post a Comment