Friday, October 28, 2011

A Very KB Christmas



"Gifts must affect the receiver to the point of shock." 
-- Walter Benjamin



As November comes running at me, I'm starting to work on my Christmas list. While I'm not sure if this is the year I make all of my gifts (#7 on the bucket list), I'm leaning in that direction. The problem is that I'm not particularly crafty. I don't sew or knit, I can't paint or draw. Heck, I can't even manage a straight line. Check out the job I did reserving parking spots for Trunk-or-Treat at the Fall Festival at my church (look in the shadows).

Duct tape on a flat service . . . with a helper (Thanks Linda!)

Being thus handicapped in the artsy-craftsy department, I face a challenge in finding awesome gift ideas I can make for my favorite people in the world this holiday season.

Let's see . . . in the past, I have managed to make fairly spectacular-smelling salt scrubs for feet and sugar scrubs for the face. I've even managed to make not-awful soap, but I don't think I'm confident enough to make the soap for someone else.

I made pennants for the kids' teachers last year. They were cute, but not everyone would enjoy one.

Of course, I could do something in the kitchen. I enjoy cooking, but I worry that a homemade food item screams "cheap" under the tree. I toast pecans. It's kind of my thing. And they're awesome, but let's be real: I'm not going to give my mother a jar of pecans for Christmas.

I saw a recipe for homemade marshmallows online. That has potential, I guess. Especially if I include some Hershey bars and graham crackers with them for a little s'mores gift set. I'll let you know when I try to make the marshmallows. I'd like to make the first batch when the kids aren't home. They love to help in the kitchen (which is usually great), but I think this project could get pretty sticky even without 20 extra little fingers in the mix.

I'm spending a lot of time on Pinterest. You can find all kinds of cool ideas on there. (You have to ask for an invitation, but they send them out within a day or so. My username is kbroddey.) I've added a couple of ideas to my DIY Gifts folder that have potential. Courtney at A Little Glass Box took a Sharpie and wrote a letter to her son on a plain lampshade. So cute!


Genius!
Pinterest also gave me some cute ornament ideas and a few others. I plan to add to my Pinterest board in the coming weeks. But if you have any awesome ideas I could borrow, I'd love to hear them!

Oh, and I'm going to be adding some items to my bucket list in the near future. Stay tuned!!
Post a Comment