Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Item #1 ... Check!



"Seek not for fresher founts afar, just drop your bucket where you are." --Sam Walter Foss

As a 35-year-old wife of an economic developer, mother of two public school children and a freelance proofreader/editor/writer, I often feel I spend my time doing all the things I need to do and not enough of the things I want to do. I spend most days taking kids places, straightening the house, cooking dinner (at least, I *mean* to cook dinner) and proofreading/editing/writing. I spend a few hours sleeping, then rinse and repeat. It's my challenge to look at all of my experiences as opportunities to fill the bucket of my life (cheesy enough for ya?)

What am I really accomplishing?

I've had a lingering notion of a bucket list for years -- all the crazy and not-so-crazy things I want to do before I die. (It's posted to the left.) It used to be longer, but I've actually accomplished some of the things: I got a degree in journalism, I worked professionally as a news reporter, I got married to a wonderful man, I started a business, I gave birth to arguably the coolest kids on the planet, I started an adult drama ministry at my church, and I got a tattoo. I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that first come to mind.

I hope you'll join me as I tackle the remaining items, add more and handle my special little distractions (see below) along the way, realizing all the while that each and every one is a drop in the bucket.



This just in: As I was about to press the Publish button on my very first blog post, I heard the refrigerator open in the kitchen and then a sorrowful cry. My youngest, age 6, dropped an entire gallon of sweet tea on the floor. And when I say "sweet," I'm not kidding. We're talking Kool-Aid for grown-ups. Yep, I'm justa fillin' up that bucket. Now where's that mop? :)


On this and all future posts, I'd love to hear your questions, opinions and arguments. Do we have bucket list items in common? What's the worst thing *your* 6-year-old ever spilled on the floor?

Post a Comment